STRATHACHIN, John in Le Claypottis 2
- Born: About 1465
- Marriage (1): Unknown about 1498 1
The earliest reference to a member of the family, dated February 25, 1511, is a precept for remission to "John Strathachin in le Claypottis" and five others for the theft of seven horses and carts belonging to the Chancellory of Dunkeld, committed in the company of Gilbert Strathachin who claimed they belonged to him."
"The Gilbert Strachan mentioned in 1511 was John Strachan's brother."
"The arms of the Strachans (on a chief 3 cinquefoils) are displayed on the north tower of the castle, flanked by the letters J. S. for John Strachan. The same arms appear on a seal of James Strachan, canon of Aberdeen, dated 1541, and another of Thomas Strachan of Carmyllie dated 1547. James Strathauchin of Carmyllie, was one of the curators recommended by John Strachan to his grandson in his testament of 1593, and subsequently Gilbert Strachan of Claypotts was appointed curator to the young heiresses of Carmyllie. It is likely that the Strachans of Claypotts were related to the Carmyllie family and were members of a cadet branch of the Strachans of Angus and Thornton in the Mearns."
from Lands and Tower of Claypotts
"from the book Here's Tae Us, Wha's Like Us! A History of Clan Strachan James Strachan links Gilbert Strachan to the Strachans ho built Claypott Castle:
"In 1365 David II confirmed a charter of liberties granted by Alexander II to the Abbey of Lindores in 1246... the earliest known reference to Claypotts, shows that the lands were already held by the Abbey of Lindores in 1246, and the reference suggests that the tenure may have been disputed. The southern boundary was probably always the old Dundee-Arbroath road, since in the Claypotts charters fishing rights in the Tay were confined to the pendicle of land in North Ferry.
For the greater part of the 16th century the lands were held of the Abbey by the Strachans of Claypotts. The earliest reference to a member of the family, dated February 25, 1511, is a precept for remission to 'John Strathachin in le Claypottis' and five others for the theft of seven horses and carts belonging to the Chancellory of Dunkeld, committed in the company of Gilbert Strathachin who claimed they belonged to him. It is unlikely that the John Strachan involved in this incident was the John Strachan who is known to have died in 1593; it can probably be fairly inferred that the two were father and son. John (the second) was succeeded by his son Gilbert in 1593 and by his grandson John (the third) in 1594, who sold the lands in 1601 to William Graham of Ballunie. (The Lands and Tower of Claypotts) According to a Society of Antiquaries article, 'The relationship between the Strachans of Claypotts and other branches of the Strachan House of Carmyllie family is unknown.' However, missing from their bibliography is an 1861 publication, authored by Andrew Jervise, FSA Scot; which states the Strachan of Claypotts were descendant from the Strachans of Carmyllie. 2 3
John married about 1498.1
"dau Seton m. John Strachan of Claypotts, brother to the Vicar of Strathmiglo (c 1498)."
from http://www2.thesetonfamily.com 1