CAIRNS, Margaret 2
- Born: 26 April 1871, Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland 2 3
- Marriage (1): McCRAW, Robert on 1 July 1898 in Winchburgh, Kirkliston, Midlothian, Scotland 1
- Died: 20 October 1959 at 5.00 am, Ramsay Place, Portobello, Edinburgh, Scotland 4
Cause of her death was cardiovascular degeneration.4
Other names for Margaret were CARRON, Margaret 3 and McCRAW, Margaret.4
The 1881 census recorded Margaret living in her parents' home at Cairnie Hinds House, Inveresk. She was a scholar aged 9 years and had been born in Liberton near Edinburgh.
The 1891 census for Corstorphine, Midlothian, recorded a Margaret Cairns aged 19 years, and born in Liberton, living at Wester Coates Dairy (Farm) in the household of Margaret Adams, a dairywoman and the widow of James Adams. James Adams was the mother of Margaret Cairns' mother Rebecca Adams. Margaret Cairns was a servant.
Margaret McCraw died in 1959 at Portobello. Her death certificate recorded that she was the widow of Robert McCraw, bottle blower. Her recorded age at death was 88 years. 2 4
Eliz. F. Laled MB certified the cause of death.
M. McEwan, granddaughter of the deceased woman, of 6 Niddrie Marischal Grove, Edinburgh, gave notice of her grandmother's death before the registrar, Frank Gray, at Edinburgh on 21 October 1959. 4
Margaret married Robert McCRAW, son of William McCRAW and Mary FALCONER, on 1 July 1898 in Winchburgh, Kirkliston, Midlothian, Scotland.1 (Robert McCRAW was born about 1870 1 and died before 20 October 1959 1 4.)
The marriage was solemnised after banns according to the forms of the Established Church of Scotland. Hugh Armstrong MA BD, Minister of Winchburgh, performed the ceremony. John McCraw and Helen Cairns were witnesses.
Robert McCraw was an unmarried man of 27 years of age. He worked as a carter and resided at 9 Southfield Place, Portobello, in the parish of Duddingston.
Margaret Cairns was also 27 years old and single. She worked as a domestic servant and was resident in Winchburgh, Kirkliston.
The marriage was registered at Kirkliston on 5 July 1898, Thomas Scott being the registrar. 1