Copyright (C) 2022 by Patrick's People all rights reserved Updated 21 May 2022
CULLEN, Andrew Burgess of Aberdeen
(About 1395-)
CULLEN, Andrew Bailie of Aberdeen
(About 1430-)
CULLEN, Mariote
(About 1460-Before 1505)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
1. REID, Alexander of Pitfodels. Provost of Aberdeen

CULLEN, Mariote 1

  • Born: About 1460
  • Marriage (1): REID, Alexander of Pitfodels. Provost of Aberdeen by November 1487 1
  • Died: Before 3 November 1505 2

   Other names for Mariote were CULLANE, Mariote 3 and CULLEN, Marjory.2

   User ID: X358.

  General Notes:

"ST CHRISTOPHER
a) On 18 Sept. 1470 John Matheson, burgess of Aberdeen, endowed his chaplain at the altar newly founded by him with rents of 3 13s 8d. The patron of the altar in 1506/7 was Alexander Matheson, son and heir of the late Marjory Cullen, spouse of Alexander Reid of Pitfoddels." (page 287)

"b) A second service at this altar was founded by Alexander Reid of Pitfoddels, burgess of Aberdeen, who on 3 Nov 1505 infeft sir John Reid in rents of 2 to celebrate for himself, his late spouse Marjory Cullen and others." (page 287)

from Medieval Burgh Kirk 2


Mariote married Alexander REID of Pitfodels. Provost of Aberdeen, son of Andrew REID of Pitfodels and Unknown, by November 1487.1 (Alexander REID of Pitfodels. Provost of Aberdeen was born about 1440 3 and died in 1506 1 3.)


  Marriage Notes:

"In 1488 Alexander Reid, who was then the owner of the greater portion of Pitfodels, got confirmation from
James III of a charter granted by him in favour of Mariot Cullane, his wife, in liferent, of the lands of 'Wester
Pitfodellis.' "

from Banchory-Devenick

"In November, 1487, Reid, with consent of his brother Robert, who was then his heir, executed a charter in favour of his spouse, Mariote Cullen, granting her the lands of Wester Pitfoddels for the whole term of her life. This charter was confirmed under the Great Seal on 16th January, 1487-8.
By a charter, dated 10th December, 1494, the Provost and his spouse were jointly and severally infeft in Easter Pitfoddels, besides which they held the town and lands of Rubislaw on tack from the burgh."

from Aldermen and Provosts 1 3

Sources


1 e-books, Memorials of the Aldermen, Provosts and Lord Provosts of Aberdeen 1272-1895 by A. M. Munro (1897).

2 e-books, The Late Medieval Burgh Kirk of St Nicholas Aberdeen by Iain Fraser (PhD Edinburgh 1989) citing numerous sources.

3 e-books, History of the Parish of Banchory-Devenick by John A. Henderson (1890).


Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This website was created 21 May 2022 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by website owner