HOWIE, John in easter Glentoir 1
- Born: About 1555
- Marriage (1): Unknown
- Died: Before 26 October 1610 1
User ID: C701.
in Easter Glentoir
Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court
from Wills and Testaments 1
OTHERS IN GLENTORE
The Legal records - Wills and testaments section on the Scotland's People site also lists some other names as being based in Glentore at this time:
- "Arthour, Merioun 26/10/1610 in Glentoir TD Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court CC10/5/2"
- "Thome, Robert 26/10/1610 in Glentoir TD Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court CC10/5/2"
- "Paull, Jonet 12/8/1615 spouse to John Thome in Glentoir Wester, parish of Monkland TD Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court CC10/5/3"
- "Thome, John 13/10/1617 in Glentoir, parish of Monkland TD Hamilton & Campsie Commissary Court CC10/5/4"
"The Charter (of about 1160, by King Malcolm IV, granting to the monks of Newbattle the land now known as Monklands) states that 'Glarnephyn' extended up to Dunduffel towards the east; and Lothian is afterwards mentioned as lying on the eastern boundary......
The only name used that is similar to Glarnephyn is Glentore. It lies in the district above referred to, and as late as the middle of the seventeenth century, when the property of Lord Wigtoun included a large portion of the north-east of Monkland, the lands so called Glentore were not only those now (ie 1890) thus known, but many other properties and farms called by new names when they came to be subdivided. There are at present five farms in the Parish known by the name of Glentore.......
Many members of this family for several centuries held prominent position in the State affairs of Scotland. They possessed princely estates in the counties of Dumbarton and Stirling, immediately adjoining their Monkland estate of Glentoir, then of considerable extent. About the middle of the seventeenth century, the then Lord Wigtoun feued this estate in smaller farms. About the same time portions of his large estates in Cumbernauld, Kirkintilloch and Denny were similarly disposed of, in order to provide men and money loyally to support the falling fortunes of the Stuart dynasty." (all from page 11)
"New Monkland Parish, consequent upon the Reformation, was partitioned into the following divisions and estates: -
......(four estates are named and described)
5 Glentore lands, Easter and Wester formed also a large estate comprehending the north-east end of the Parish from Greengairs eastward. This estate was acquired at the Reformation by the Earl of Wigton, and was feued out by his descendants about 1667. On Wester Glentore there was, at one time, a considerable village, the inhabitants of which were nearly swept off by the plague. The old road, known as the Biggar Road, was made by the Earl of Wigton from Cumbernauld to his Biggar estates." (from page 22)
from New Monkland Parish 1 2