HANNAGIN, William 1
- Born: About 1819, Ireland 2
- Marriage (1): McKENNA, Isabella on 10 February 1843 in St John's RC Church, Prior Park, Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Glasgow 1
- Died: Between 1848 and 1851
Other names for William were HANAGAN, Will.,2 HANAGAN, William, HANIGAN, William,3 HANNAGAN, William and HANNIGAN, William.4
William Hanagan was recorded in the 1841 census living in his parents' home in Barrhead. William Hannagin and Isabella McKinnie married in 1843. We know of two daughters that were born to them between the year of their marriage and the year 1848. By 1851 William had died, Isabella remarried, and the girls had a new stepfather in George Smith.
William Hannigan was a coal miner, according to the 1873 marriage certificate of his daughter, Ellen. He was deceased by that date.
When his daughter Ellen McCormick died in 1923, her death certificate recorded her father William Hanigan as having been a coal miner by occupation. 3 4
HANNIGAN AND MCKENNA
We know that James Hanigan, William's brother, was recorded as born in County Monaghan. When we look at Griffiths Evaluation of Ireland 1848-1864, there is one Hannigan listed living in the townland of Knockatallan in the parish of Tedavnet, a James Hannigan. There are also many McKennas listed, (and McKinney and McKenna are variants of the same name), and we also note the presence of Mulligan and Mullins. 5
William married Isabella McKENNA, daughter of William McKENNA and Isabella McCUTCHEON, on 10 February 1843 in St John's RC Church, Prior Park, Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Glasgow.1 (Isabella McKENNA was born about 1824 in Ireland 6 and died 17 December 1893 at 8.30 pm in 17 Double Row, Thornwood, Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.). The cause of her death was heart disease over 4 months.
Old Parish Register
Neilston Parish Renfrewshire
"Proclamation of Banns and Marriages in 1843
3 days William Hannagin Collier Barrhead & Isabella McKinnie there in this Parish, were booked for Proclamation of Banns 14th Jany - and after being regularly proclaimed and no objections offered were married at Prior Park the 10th of Febry 1843 by the Rev. James Purscell C. C. Kait Park."
Note: According to SCRAN "St. John's School (Barrhead) for Roman Catholics opened in 1912 under Mr Edward Gallagher of Eriskay at Prior Park beside the church of St John the Evangelist, built in 1841, on ground obtained with difficulty from a builder in financial difficulties. In 1841 there were over 2000 Catholics in Barrhead who previously had to travel to St. Mirin's in Paisley, (from)1808. The majority of these people were poor Irish labourers and their families. In 1941 St. John's was destroyed by fire..."
James Purcell was one of the first Irish priests in the 19th century to work in Scotland. In his brief four years in Barrhead he opened a school in Water Road, opened a cemetery, and built the presbytery.
Roman Catholic Registers
St John's parish Barrhead Renfrewshire
William Hanigan and Isabella McKenna (or it may be McKinnie) having presented the required certificate were married by me on the 10th Feb 1843 in presence of Thomas McKenna and Mary Hani g (tails off)" 7 8 9