LE GRANT, Duncan 1st Laird of Freuchie, Sir 1 2
- Born: About 1410
- Marriage (1): Unknown
- Died: 1485 2
Another name for Duncan was GRANT, Duncan Sir.1
"...the Lords of Glencarnie were descended from a branch of the ancient Celtic Earls of Strathern, and adopted the territorial name of their lands as their own surname. Tradition, therefore, in assigning the Comyns as the ancestors of Matilda of Glencarnie andher son. Sir Duncan Grant, is not only erroneous as to fact, but has overlooked the true and much more splendid pedigree of Sir Duncan, who, by his mother, inherited the blood of Malise, Earl of Strathern, the proud noble who claimed the foremost place in the battle of the Standard on 22d August 1138. By this alliance of the family of Grant with Matilda of Glencarnie, the present Chief of the Grants is lineally descended from the great race of Strathern, whose origin is lost in the mists of antiquity, but which is known as one of the noblest in Scotland in the earliest historic times."
from Chiefs of Grant
Duncan had two more sons in addition to the one listed.
"Tradition connects Duncan Grant of Freuchie with the lands of Glencarnie at this date, and it may be perfectly correct in doing so. It is the case that Duncan Grant of Freuchie was, in 1457, the Crown tacksman of the lands of Balhndalloch, which lands are afterwards closely associated with Glencarnie. In the account to which reference has just been made, there is allowed to the accounters by the auditor the sum of £3, 6s. Sd. 'of the rents of the lands of Ballyndalach, which comprise one davoch, are situated in Strathown, and pertain to the property of Moray, which Duncan Grant holds, but from the enjoyment of which he is deterred by Sir Walter Stewart.'
It is not, therefore, improbable that Duncan Grant was the tacksman of Glencarnie, and it is all the more likely from the interest he had in the lands through his mother. Shaw, on the authority of the Exchequer Rolls, states that the lordship of Glencarnie was set in lease by the Crown to Sir Duncan Grant in the year 1478. This is the earliest authentic intimation of the possession of Glencarnie by the Grants of Freuchie, but the lease mentioned in the Rolls may have been only a renewal of a previous one.
The lease of 1478 was renewed and converted into a feu in favour of Sir Duncan Grant's grandson and successor, John Grant, second Laird of Freuchie, by a charter of King James the Fourth, dated 4th February 1498, when the rent of the lands is still further reduced. This charter is still preserved at Castle Grant, and narrates the good, faithful, and thankful service, rendered and to be rendered by the said John in peace and in war, for which the King bestows all 'our lands of Glencarnie and Balnadalach, and mills thereof, within our sheriffdom of Elgin and Forres,' to be held in fee and heritage for a yearly rent of £71 Scots, paid at the customary terms of Whitsunday and Martinmas, in name of feu-farm only. It farther stipulates that should John Grant or his heirs, fail in payment of the rent at the specified terms, or at least, if one term's payment had not been made on the arrival of the ensuing term, the donation and infeftment were thereupon to be of no force or effect.
Sasine of the lands of Ballindalloch was given to John Grant of Freuchie at the 'place of Ballindalloch, as the principal messuage' of the lands, on 8th April 1499,-and on the same day sasine of the lands of Glencarnie is said to have been given at Mullochard, 'locum de Mulquuharde, principale messuagium dictarum terrarum.'
from Chiefs of Grant 3 4