1. QUIGLY, John (DNA Linked)
- QUIGLEY, Annabella (DNA Link)+
- QUIGLY, Bernard
- QUIGLY, Patrick (DNA Linked)+
- QUIGLY, Arthur+
- QUIGLEY, John
- QUIGLY, James (DNA Link)+
- QUIGLY, Margaret
- QUIGLEY, Thomas+
- QUIGLY, Michael+
- QUIGLY, William
LYNAS, Catharine (DNA Linked) 1
- Born: probably Neilston parish, Renfrewshire, Scotland 2 3
- Baptised: 18 March 1798, St Andrew's RC parish, Glasgow, Scotland 4
- Marriage (1): QUIGLY, John (DNA Linked) 18 January 1818(proclamation) in High Church Parish, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland 1
- Died: 17 January 1873 at 11.30 pm, 3 Bell Street, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Cause of her death was paralysis of several months' duration.5
Other names for Catharine were LAINAS, Kitty,4 LINAS, Cath.,6 LINAS, Catherine, LINES, Catherine, LINESS, Catherine,7 LINESS, Katherine, LINISS, Katerine, LINNAS, Catherine, LYNAS, Catherine, LYNASS, Catharine,8 LYNES, Catherine, LYNESS, Catherine, LYNIS, Catherine,5 LYNNS, Cath.,9 LYNOS, Catherine,10 LYONS, Catherine,11 QUIGLEY, Cath.,10 QUIGLEY, Catharine, QUIGLEY, Catherine,5 11 12 13 SWEEDLEY, Mrs 3 and TWIGLEY, Catherine.2
A very difficult to read baptismal record in the register of St Andrew's Roman Catholic parish in Glasgow, written in a tiny cursive hand, is almost certainly Catherine's baptism:
March 18. Kitty Lainas d. of Arthur Lain(obscured)
& Isab Donelly, Neilston
Note: This entry is indexed in Scotland's People GRO site as "Kelly Lainey". There are at least four entries on this page alone whose given name is supposedly "Kelly", not a typical name for the period. "Kitty" the diminutive of Catherine was and still is popular among Irish families.In Roman Catholic baptism records of around 1810 in St Mirin's parish, Paisley, it was written as "Ketty" with the 'e' clearly open, and the double 't' clearly crossed.
"Catharine Lynass", along with Charles Hendry, was a sponsor at the baptism of Charles McLusky in 1817 as noted below:
Roman Catholic Records
St Mirin's Parish Paisley
"At Paisley on the sixth day of July 1817, I the undersigned baptised Charles born 2nd June, lawfull son of Arthur McLusky and Catharine Quigley residing in Lochwinnoch Charles Hendry and Catharine Lynass being Sponsors"
On 2 August 1823 John Quigly and Catherine Liness were sponsors at the baptism by Father William Caven in St Mirin's RC Parish Paisley of Jane McGrath, lawful daughter of Patrick McGrath and Helen Quin.
Catherine Twigley [sic] was recorded living with her eight children at 114 Main Street, Anderston in the Barony parish of Glasgow by the 1841 census. Her age was recorded as 40 years, that is in the 40-44 years age range, and her birthplace was noted as Lanarkshire - her answer was 'Yes' to being born in the census county. This latter detail is not consistent with evidence supplied from other sources, although her sister Margaret was recorded as having been born in Glasgow, and parts of what are now Glasgow and Lanarkshire, Cathcart for example, were once in Renfrewshire. Six of Catherine's children, aged 10 to 20 years, were working in some capacity; the two younger ones, aged 4 and 7 years, were the only exceptions. Two children known to have been born to Catherine, Margaret and William, were not recorded in this census and probably died at an early age.
In an entry from the 1851 census for the parish of Riccarton in Ayrshire, Catherine along with some of her children and grandchildren were recorded. They were living at a place called Chapelyhill in the village of Hurlford. Catherine's name was noted as 'Mrs Sweedley', presumably the enumerator had difficulty with the Irish pronunciation of Quigley/Tweedley. She was recorded as being a "Miners Widow", and her age was recorded as 50 years. Her birthplace was noted as Neilston, Renfrewshire. Two sons, Thomas and Michael were living with her, and her married daughter Isabella was also there with three of her own children: Catherine, Duncan and John.
NOTE:Young Catherine McKillop, daughter of Isabella, was also recorded in another entry of the same census as niece Peter and Margaret Quigley at Crookedholm.
On 2 April 1857 "Cath. Linas" was a baptismal sponsor at the baptism of her granddaughter Catharine Quigley, daughter of Patrick Quigley and Margaret George.
St Joseph's KIlmarnock RC Parish Register recorded the baptism in September 1860 of Catharine Quigley daughter of Thomas Quigley and Helen Barber, at which "Cath. Quigley" was the sponsor or witness. It may have been this woman, the child's grandmother.
In 1861 the census for Dundonald parish Ayrshire recorded Catherine Quigley and her son Michael living in the hamlet of Old Rome. Catherine was a widow of 62 years of age, who was the housekeeper of the household. Her birthplace was recorded as Barrhead, Renfrewshire.
In 1868 a "Catherine Lynos" was named as sponsor in the baptismal record in St Joseph's RC parish Kilmarnock for Rebecca Quigley, daughter of Patrick Quigley and Margaret George. In 1869 Catherine Lynos was a sponsor at the baptism of Duncan Quigley, Rebecca's young brother.
In 1871, Peter and Isabella McKillop were living with their five children: Duncan, aged 24 years, John, 22 years, Peter, 18 years, Margaret, 16 years, and Arthur, 12 years, at 51 Bell Street, Airdrie. Catherine Quigley, aged 71 years, Peter's mother-in-law, also lived there. All were born in Airdrie, except Catherine and Isabella who were recorded as having been born in Paisley. Catherine's occupation was noted as "formerly a laundress".
When Catherine Quigley died at 3 Bell Street Airdrie in January 1873 aged 72 years, her death certificate stated that she was the "Widow of John Quigley Cotton Spinner". Her father was named as Arthur Lynis, a shoemaker journeyman, then deceased, and her mother was Isabella Donnley, also deceased.
When Peter Quigley died in 1881 in Motherwell, his mother was recorded as "Catherine Quigley MS Lyons Deceased". 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 13 14
ST ANDREW'S ROMAN CATHOLIC PARISH
"Prior to 1779, popular prejudice, in the minds of a number of the citizens of Glasgow, had arisen to such a height, that its professors durst not publicly avow their principles. They were few in number, and met in a clandestine manner, in a room off a dwelling-house in Blackstock's Land, near the foot of Saltmarket-Street. Bishop Hay, who was settled in Edinburgh, and his coadjutor, Bishop Geddes, came to Glasgow four times in the year, per vices, when mass was celebrated, and other religious rites performed.
In the year 1792, when the spirit of emigration among the Highlanders was carried to an alarming height, particularly in those districts where the inhabitants were chiefly Roman Catholics, the manufacturers of Glasgow, as an incitement to those hardy labourers to settle among them, rented a large apartment in Mitchell-Street, formerly the Tennis Court, to be used as a Roman Catholic Chapel; and having, with concurrence of the Magistrates, guaranteed the free exercise of their religion, they agreed to pay the rent, and the greater part of the priest's stipends. From this period, their numbers rapidly increased, so that, in 1797, they built a Chapel near the Barracks, which accomodates 600 persons. And, in 1816, they are building a new Chapel in Clyde-Street, to contain 2,200 persons. When this Chapel is opened, it is proposed to abandon the old one as a place of worship.
1 Mr. Alexander McDonald was the first priest; he was settled in 1792
2 Mr. John Farquharson; he was settled in 1795
3 Mr. Andrew Scott; he was settled in 1805"
from Annals of Glasgow
The first bleachfield was formed about 1773 by Peter Adair of Cross Arthurlie. He had been a bleacher at some of the Lismore fields in Ireland, his native country. He pitched it at Cross Arthurlie.
Cotton spinning began in 1780. The first mill was at Dovecothall on the banks of the Levern- an old corn mill. it was built by Stewart Dunlop & Co. It was the second cotton mill in Scotland.
BELL STREET, AIRDRIE
Bell Street in Airdrie was originally Finnie's Lane. The name was changed to Bell Street before Airdrie became a burgh.(Act of 1821). It was named after Andrew Bell, wright, who was responsible for much of the building development of that area.
Near the top of the street was Airdrie's first iron foundry, founded in 1783 by James Kirkwood, taken over in 1816 by John Dick. It was the nucleus of Dick and Stevenson's famous engineering works. In the street, too, in the first third of the 19th century were a number of nail makers. Dick and Stevenson made locomotives especially for colliery work and these were run down Bell Street on their own steam to join the railway sidings at Airdrie South Station.
There was also a building named 'The Pall' at the top right hand of the street which was owned by one Barney Wisdom, who made coffins for the poor. Before the formation of the Edinburgh-Glasgow turnpike road in 1795, Bell Street was most important, being the only street which led southwards from the old town. 15 16 17
The cause of Catherine's death was certified by Thomas Torrance, Surgeon.
Her daughter Isabella McKillop, who had been present where the death occurred, gave notice of her mother's death and made her X mark on 18 January 1873 before the registrar at Airdrie. 5
Noted events in her life were:
• sponsor at baptism, 7 April 1857, St Joseph's RC Chapel, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. 10 Catherine, daughter of Peter Quigley and Margaret George, was born on March 10 1857 and baptised by Fr J. McLachlan. Her sponsors were Thomas Quigley and Catherine Linas.
Catharine married John QUIGLY (DNA Linked), son of Peter QUIGLY and Mary LOGAN, 18 January 1818(proclamation) in High Church Parish, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.1 (John QUIGLY (DNA Linked) was born about 1796 in Ireland and died between 1841 and 1851.)
Old Parish Registers
Paisley High Church Parish Renfrewshire
18th Jany 1818
John Quigly & Catharine Lynas both in this parish"
The Old Parish Record for High Church, Paisley contains the proclamation of the marriage banns on 18 January 1818 for John Quigly and Catharine Lynas. They were both 'of this parish'. Other entries give details of the marriage taking place after the notice of proclamation; this one contains only the banns themselves. To the right of the text are four columns. The first is headed "days" and for this couple the number 3 is underneath. To the right of the word "days" is a 5 then a 4 then blank. For this couple a ditto mark is beneath the 5 and a 1 is beneath the 4, like this
Days 5 4
3 " 1
There is no corresponding record of marriage in the Roman Catholic records of St Mirin's RC Church Paisley's marriages regarding the marriage of John Quigly and Catherine Lynas. The 'relevant' page in the register moves from a November 1817 entry by Father Charles Stuart to an entry for 6 April 1818 by Father James McLachlan on behalf of Father Andrew Scott. The couple may have married elsewhere in Scotland or in Ireland, or the officiating priest may, for an unknown reason, have omitted to add their details to his marriage records. 1